Tuesday, December 13, 2011

The Best Broccoli of Your Life

This is my very first post! Yay! Please forgive any misspelled words and my sub par grammar. Writing is not a strength of mine.


Okay, so I saw this posted on Pinterest a few times and decided I had to try it since broccoli is my favorite vegetable. My daughter, Sophie (she is 4), loves "trees" too and I thought she would love this!

Here is the link to the recipe: http://www.amateurgourmet.com/2008/11/the_best_brocco.html

I did alter the recipe, so here is how I made it!

I read that the broccoli should be very dry, so I washed it about 2 hours before I wanted to bake it. It was actually still a bit wet, so next time I won't wash it at all. The recipe says that the heat will kill any bacteria. Okay, I'll buy that!


I preheated the oven to 425 degrees.

I cut the florets off the bunches and placed them in a large bowl. Since I only had about 1 pound of broccoli (the recipe calls for 4-5 pounds ... holy broccoli), I only used 1 T. of olive oil, 1/4 tsp. of minced garlic, 1/4 tsp. ground pepper, and 1/4 tsp. sea salt to coat the broccoli.


I transferred the broccoli to a foil lined baking sheet and roasted in the oven for 20 minutes. After 20 minutes, the broccoli had a nice brown crispy look to them. I brushed about 1/2 T. of olive oil, and dropped lemon juice on each floret. The recipe calls for the juice of a real lemon, but I didn't have one. I excluded the pine nuts, basil, and Parmesan cheese as I didn't have any of those either. Regardless, it turned out great! I loved the crispy texture. My daughter wouldn't even take one bite because there was "brown" on it. Kids!

No comments:

Post a Comment